Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday PicNic ~ My Roman Holiday


Just as actors Audrey Hepburn (Princess Ann) and Gregory Peck (Joe Bradley) did in the 1953 movie Roman Holiday, I’m jetting to Italy. Though I’m far from being a princess, I’m certain to fall in love just the same—not with a tall, handsome American (I did that over a quarter of a century ago) but with the beauty of Italy.

I have three reasons to be molto eccitata (very excited) about this trip.

1. It’s Italy, baby! Throwing coins in the Trevi Fountain, walking the Spanish Steps, giving a ‘thumbs down’ in the Colesseum, holding up the Tower of Pisa, gondola-ing through the Grand Canal, finding a fig leaf for the statue of David, chasing pigeons in Piazza Navona, and seeing the hand of God in the Sistine Chapel—that’s a lot to be excited about.

Italy is full of ancient ruins, museums, and stories. I can’t wait to take a stroll through the historical path of millenniums. My mind, heart, and camera will fill with Italy’s fabulous beauty.

2. A mother daughter trip! Any trip is more fun when you’re traveling with someone you love. Our mother-daughter trips to California, Niagara Falls, picturesque Savannah, and even the quick jaunts to the Blue Ridge Mountains, have blessed us with fun, laughter, and irreplaceable memories. I know Italy will do the same.

Street-corner gelato cafés by day and cool Chianti evenings will no doubt bestow us with a pound or two, but we’ll still look hot wearing the fake designer bags and nine-dollar Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses purchased from street vendors.

3. A novel in the making! Shortly after planning this trip, my mind flooded with story ideas. I frenetically jotted down an outline for a new novel, (and I never create outlines) and soon had a romance-in-the-making. With an amendable plot, I proceed to Italia to participate in my characters’ adventures. Okay, if you’re not a writer, you probably think that sounds insane, but the author-heads out there understand.


With all that said, I still have to pack my bags. Other than the adorable chic red raincoat I purchased the other day, I don’t have a clue what I’m taking. I’m not too worried about details though. As long as I have my journal, my daughter, and comfortable shoes, I’ll be fine. I’ll come back with a treasure of memories to last a lifetime, photos to share, and a story to write.

Ciao!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...